Value of Tourism
- Tourism in Yorkshire & Humber is worth over £7 billion, which is more than the whole tourism expenditure in Ireland or Denmark. (Eurostat)
- The tourism industry employs nearly a quarter of a million people, representing 7% of the total job market in the in Yorkshire & Humber region. (Yorkshire Tourism Economic Impact Model 2008).
- 216 million visits to Yorkshire are made every year, equivalent to the total number of visitors to Walt Disney Attraction Theme Parks worldwide. (Top 10 Amusement/Theme Park Attraction Chains - World (2008)).
- Yorkshire & Humber attracts 15 million overnight staying visitors (equivalent to 48 million nights) in the region every year, worth nearly £2.6 billion to the economy.
- Overseas visitors contribute a further 3.2 million trips (13 million nights) and generate £637 million of spend a year.
- Day visits make up the largest proportion of the Yorkshire & Humber Tourism economy, worth a massive £3.9 billion to the region every year with over 194 million visitors.
- Business trips represent a significant proportion of the tourism market, making up 19% of all overnight trips in the region and accounting for a quarter of all visitor spend, equivalent to £1.6 billion a year.
- Yorkshire provides a choice of over 4,868 hotels, guesthouses, self-catering units and campsites with enough bed space to accommodate the entire population of France over the course of a single year.